Yup, I aggree... and this is also true of other scripting languages like PHP
and PERL... but maybe I'm just being too much of a purist. I think you also
have to understand that a lot of so called "crappy" programmers never had
anyone show them how to write code so it's not their fault. My wife is
learning ActionScripting for Flash at her new job.  There is a "senior"
programmer that she works under. I have been working with her at home on her
programming skils, and the quality of her work now surpasses the her
manager's work.  But it's hard to fault either of them because they are
simply ignorant of programming practices and plus they don't really care
because they don't see themselves as programmers.

I mean you just don't see a lot of discussions about design patterns and
application modeling in the VB, PHP, PERL, etc.. newsgroups...

It's too bad really...

As linux becomes more and more popular and as time goes on some sort of
basic programming skill will be required -- kind of like typing was when I
was in high school.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com