At 12:13 PM 08/27/2001 -0400, Scott Parks wrote:
> >Just a simple question, how are most of you setting up your file systems
> >for install?

After some experimentation I settled on this:

/dev/hda1     /     8 Gb

/dev/hda3     /boot  50Mb
(You can get away with much less , of course, but if you cut it too fine you
might get stuck on the next upgrade)

/dev/hda2     /home 19 GB
(contains a dummy user called clasqm which is mostly storage space for oggs,
graphics, videos  etc)

/dev/hda5      /var 500 Mb
(but that space-hogging /var/cache/grpmi directory is symlinked to  a
directory in /home/michel)

/dev/hdb1     /home/clasqm/bkup 2.5 Gb

/dev/hdd5     /home/michel      12  GB
(And now that you know my main username you can hit the dumpster to look for
my password. That was the idea, wasn't it? <g>)

/boot is ext2 and hdb is FAT; everything else is Reiser.  hdc is the cdrom (I
know, I know, but there was a problem running it as slave). I also have 256
Mb swap on each of hda and hdd. I used to have a separate /tmp, but it filled
up real quick when I started ripping my cd collection to wav before encoding
to ogg, and then all of a sardine it refused to rip any further with not a
word of explanation ...

I'm not claiming this is ideal, and I'll probably tinker with it some more
when mdk 8.1 comes out. But it serves me well so far.

As I understand it, one big / is not advisable. / and /home really is the
minimum if you value your data. As always, open to correction.
--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com