I'm getting senile, forgot and sent it to the poster instead of the list.
Again.

Subject: Re: [newbie] kde 2.2 install
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:02:41 -0400
From: Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Bill Winegarden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Thursday 30 August 2001 19:49, you wrote:
> Hi,
>       Excellent advice. I performed the 'test' install and it showed these
> dependencies....
>
>       libSDL-1.2.so.0 is needed by kdeaddons-2.2-1mdk
>         netscape-common is needed by kdebase-nsplugins-2.2-1mdk
>         libXm.so.2 is needed by kdebase-nsplugins-2.2-1mdk
>         libsane1 is needed by kdegraphics-2.2-1mdk
>         libpcreposix.so.0 is needed by kdelibs-2.2-1mdk
>         libpcre.so.0 is needed by kdelibs-2.2-1mdk
>         xanim is needed by kdemultimedia-aktion-2.2-1mdk
>         openssl-devel is needed by kdevelop-2.2-1mdk
>         kdoc is needed by kdevelop-2.2-1mdk
>         libjpeg-devel is needed by kdevelop-2.2-1mdk
>         sgml-tools is needed by kdevelop-2.2-1mdk
>         zlib1-devel is needed by kdevelop-2.2-1mdk
>         libpng2-devel is needed by kdevelop-2.2-1mdk
>         zlib-devel is needed by libxml2-devel-2.4.1-1mdk
>         kdegraphics = 2.1.1-3mdk is needed by
> kdegraphics-devel-2.1.1-3mdk
>
>       Wow, my work is cut out for me. I'll do the research and get these
> problems fixed tomorrow.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Bill W.
>
> On Thursday 30 August 2001 21:26, you wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 August 2001 18:57, you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >          It's my turn. I've d/l'd all the packages (except the
> > > static ones) and they
> > > are eagerly waiting to be installed. Two quick questions....
> > >
> > >          #1.  Is there a specific order that they must be installed
> > > in
> > >
> > >          #2.  Is there a single command that will install all
> > > packages or do I have
> > > to 'rpm -Uvh filename.rpm each and every one?
> > >
> > > Thanks group, I'll let you know how it installs on my Dell laptop.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Bill W.

> > If you have saved them all to a dedicated folder you can install them
> > by cding to that folder and then giving the command :   rpm -Uvh *.rpm
> >   (no special order called for).
> > However before you do that I would suggest that you first do the
> > following: (root@username)# cd kde2.2file
> > (root @ kde2.2file) rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm
> > if this comes back with no errors or dependencies then the first
> > command should install all with no problem. HTH

I should mention that unless you actually do developement programming you
should not need the "devel" packages i.e. you need "kdebase" but not
"kdebase-devel".  I haven't learned or rather relearned to write code
(Fortran 4 was the last I used, am I ancient or what) so I don't install
the devel packages. HTH.
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842

Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842