On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:15, Charles A. Punch wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:36, Mark Johnson wrote:
> > > Just FYI...
> > > http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096249,00.html
> > >

> > > If you can afford it and it suites your needs I would encourage you to
> > > support Ximian and purchase their products.  It would be a shame to see
> > > them go under like Ezeal...  Think of it as a donation?!?
> >
> > Ximian have a much more sound business strategy than do Eazel. I don't
> > think that they'll go bust.
> >
> > > However, it seems you need a pretty powerful machine to run the GNOME
> > > desktop.  I've got a 900MHz/512MB, and running GNOME is a dog compared
> > > to KDE, it's too bad really. I'm sure a lot has to do with having a
> > > slow hard-drive but I'm surprised how much disk access there is while
> > > running GNOME.
> >
> > I have a Pentium II 350 and GNOME runs fine for me. KDE doesn't run
> > badly, but not as well as GNOME. If you have a 900MHz system and GNOME is
> > still slow, then there's something wrong.
>
> I have 1.2 MHz with 512MB and GNOME runs slightly faster than KDE as
> well, but it seems to crash (freeze up) when I open too many apps. It's
> probably some conflicts somewhere that I havn't discovered or the fact
> that it's not the latest version. This is the one that came with 8.0
> (from  cheapbytes). I am planning on getting the powerpack when 8.1
> comes out so I haven't uograded, but thanx to Shridhar whose comments
> about GNOME made me curious enough to give it a second try (I tried it
> several times before and had given up). Due to his advice in a previous
> post about GNOME, I know now that I will like it much better when I
> learn how to make it work properly. It is much more configurable than
> KDE. By the way Sridhar, is GNOME compensating you for the plugs? (LOL).

I wish!

I started using GNOME back in the 1.0.x days, when Enlightenment was the
default WM. It was way ahead (IMHO) of the latest KDE version at the time,
1.1.x, which I found to be too Windows-like (i.e. too much like what I was
escaping from). I learned to really appreciate the immense configurability of
GNOME + Enlightenment/Sawfish, configuring my keyboard so that I seldom have
to touch the mouse. While I still like KDE, I still feel that it's geared too
far towards the Windows crowd. It may be more integrated, but it's nowhere
near as powerful or configurable as GNOME (although it's still light years
beyond Windows).

Of course, that's just my opinion :-)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.