-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of civileme
Sent: Saturday, 1 September 2001 5:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Lin; Franki
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] WoooHooo!!! Hard disk upgrade, but now a problem.

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Franki wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have just got the opportunity to swap my Western Digital 20gig 7200rpm
> > (three month old) drive,,
> > and I have chosen a 61.4 gig IBM 7200rpm drive to replace it, (also
> > upgrading the box to 512mb ram,,,,)
> >
> > I have heard many bad things about the WD harddisks, so when a friend
> > needed a new big hard drive for his 233mmx system, I did a deal and now
> > am rearing to go with the IBM.
> > should make a nice combo,,,,
> >
> > But I don't want to have to reinstall the whole thing again if I can
> > avoid it....
> >
> > The 20 gig is currently divided into partitions like /tmp /home /var/
> > /usr etc etc... and running Reiserefs everywhere possible.
> >
> > In windows systems, I used Ghost many times to just mirror the old
drives
> > onto the new ones,,,,,,
> >

> > Is there anything at all like that for linux?
> >
> > I hate the idea of the hours I am gonna waste getting it all perfect
> > again on the new drive (the old one, install is 2 months old, got it
> > perfect and it has an uptime of over a month now. (web and mail server))
> > , so I was hoping there was a shortcut I could make...to save me the
> > reload.... any ideas?
> >

> > any suggestions would be much appreciated.
> >

> > kindest regards
> >

> > Frank

Well you can make exact copies with

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc

Or you can make some bigger partitions on your new drive and use this on
a mounted partition by partition basis

cp -a /usr/* /newusr/

Whewre you edit your partition table to  include the partitions you have
made
on your target drive into the table on your current drive (and you make the
partitions in the same order if not the same size so that /newusr is hdc8 if
/usr is hda8.

Once done with that, you put hdc in primary master position, boot from the
rescue CD by the usual method, and

# mount /dev/hdax /mnt  #  x is the number of your root partition
# chroot /mnt
# /sbin/lilo
# sync

Then hit the reset switch and remove the CD.  You will be nbooting in
business.

Civileme