it is,

telnet is started by inetd or xinetd (depending on what you have
installed..)

if its xinetd, go into /etc/xinetd.d and check the telnet entry...

make sure it doesn't have disable=yes in there, also, it might not hurt to
comment out the +=USERID lines for logon success and logon failure,, I had
problems once until I did that..

I also usually add a line to the effect:                only_from       = 192.168.0.1
#or
whatever your ip is...

adds that little bit more protection, expecially since telnet doesn't have
alot to start with.

swap to ssh, its just as easy..

load and install ssh and ssl on your linux box..

for windows clients, download Terra Term Pro and the ssh addin (free) (this
is your telnet capable client prog, ssh and telnet work much the same once
connected.)

then download Ixplorer, which is a ftp type frontend for putty, which is a
dos ssh ftp (scp) client..

all of that is free, and if you download Ixplorer which has putty built in,
then its as easy as...

give it a shot...

rgds

Frank