Changing the startup and shutdown sounds in KDE is fairly simple.  Go to
the KDE Control Center, and open up the "Look and Feel" section.  Click on
"System Notifications" and in the right side of the window, open the "KDE
System Notifications" section.  There you will see 2 entries labeled "KDE
is Exiting" and "KDE is Starting Up."  If you open each one of those, you
will notice that you can turn on or off a sound associated with each, as
well as choosing your own personal sounds.

Hope that helps!

--
Terry Sheltra
PC Technician/Asst. Network Administrator