On Sat, 01 Sep 2001 23:40:20 -0400
Isaac Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insightfully noted:

IC> Hey all,
IC>
IC> Moving to a less fiesty topic, what are some commands I can use to
IC> monitor tasks, network traffic, etc from the console/terminal?  I know
IC> some basic networking stuff like netstat and ifconfig but I don't know
IC> any tools that display what tasks are running or what's going on with
IC> the network.  A specific example in which I would be interested is how
IC> some of you who have posted your hardware throughput, etc, have gotten
IC> your numbers?  I'd be interested in any GUI tools as well, but
IC> console/terminal tools are of the most value to me.  Thank you all so
IC> much for your help.
IC>
IC> Peace,
IC> Isaac
For a nice gui tool, try gkrellm.  Shows lots of system stats with
minimonitors for ppp or eth0, disk activity, process activity, and cpu
activity.  It also reports disk usage (including floppies, cdrom, and zip
disk) uptime, connect time, and other items of interest.  You can get
loads of different skins for it to match your various themes.
Mike

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal
lobotomy."