Hello,

I have an HP LC 2000.  When I try to install Mandrake 8.0 I get the error
"could not uncompress second stage ramdisk" and intall halts.  I created an
other.img boot disk with rawrite this gave me more error info which I belive
leads me to the problem.  Install failed with the following:

PCI device 1000 b is Symbios|53c896 (ncr53c8xx)
have   to insmod ncr53c8xx
needs ncr53c8xx
file not found in archive ncr53c8xx.o

Is there a boot image that can correct this so I can continue the install.
Boot from a floppy and it can access the CD-ROM?

Mandrake 7.1 can install on this system no problem.

BTW I find it embarassing to know I need a windows machine to install Linux.
Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]