> Isn't there some way to control the way that
> information is spewed out (more than a screenfull) in

Most progs that send stuff to stdout (i.e., your screen) can be
piped to 'more'. So, in this situation, you'd do 'locate <whatever> | more'
and read the output one page at a time.

> command line itself. I'm thinking of something like
> DOS's /w and /p.

IIRC, those switches were only in one program (DIR). Piping to 'more' is
a (erm) more general solution. Also, if you have a 'regular' console, ctrl-s
and ctrl-q should work. For xterms, if you start them up so that they have
a sufficient scroll back buffer (xterm -sb some number) then you can use
the scrollbar.