To do some work from boot, I logged out of my regular
KDE session and then loged in as root. When KDE
finished reloading, it left the screen entirely
frozen--keyboard did not respond at all. The only
thing I could do was restart the computer.

It now makes it only part of the way through the setup
and it finds that there is a error in the system.
Messages include:

Unattached inode 418928
UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY

I'm told to RUN fsck

That doesn't do any good. But I AM able to access
Linux by entering the root password. But then I don't
know what to do.

HELP! I'm completely out of business, but don't think
I should reinstall (and lose all previous gains/work.