Careful!  The Unix shell tries to "glob" wildcards
before initiating the command - basically expand them
out in the current directory.  (Glob is a transitive
verb - I glob, you glob, he, she, it is globbing) ;-)

Thus in Miark's find command example, if there's a
file in the current directory called, say thread, then
you'll find that Unix ends up expanding the wildcards
and running: find /usr -name thread - which is not
what you want.

So, if you don't want inadvertent globbing, you must
quote the wildcard viz: find /usr -name "*read*"

Of course, bash may be different - I'm an old ksh and
sh user(never liked csh).  Will try this at home
tonight (if I remember).

Regards,
Ron.