On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:05:56 -0700 (PDT), Peter Rymshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Is there a program like Gator that works on Linux? I'm
> refering to the free Windows program available at
> gator.com that automatically or manually completes
> forms with name, address, etc. as well as filling in
> ID and password.

Would you really trust a closed-source app that's been proven to contain spyware
with your passwords? I certainly wouldn't.

> The latter is part of Netscape 6.1, but I miss the
> convenience of filling out forms without typing.

The issue here is with security. If you store your passwords on a computer, they
should be stored securely (e.g. encrypted) do that a potential cracker can't
access it. Netscape 6.x and Mozilla have a Password Manager that can take care
of passwords for you. It is safe, employing strong encryption. Since Mozilla is
open source (and Netscape 6.x is based on Mozilla), you are guaranteed that
there won't be any spyware. Konqueror has IE-style autocompletion for forms,
although it wisely disables it for passwords. Opera has preset form completion
settings, so that when you right-click a form you have the option of
automatically adding things like your name, address and telephone number with
only a few clicks.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson