Not so dumb. If your Linux box is your only PC in the house, it won't do
much. It might increase your web-browsing when viewing the same sites many
times, but that's probably it. Notice I said it "Might". Primarily, it is
intended for use on a server/PC which is used as a gateway for multiple PC;'s
, in which case, commonly-viewed web-pages would be loaded from cache memory
on the proxy-server, instead of from the actual web-site. Once someone has
viewed the site, that page is stored in the cache and offered to other PC's
behind the proxy to cut down on Internet performance requirements. So, if you
have 4 computers being fed by the proxy-server, and the users all like going
to amazon.com, the web-pages from amazon would be stored on the proxy when
the first PC went to that site, and subsequently handed off to other PC's
when they also wanted to go to amazon.com. Going to another page on the
amazon web-site would repeat the process.

Having never tried it on a "stand-alone" PC myself, I'm not sure it would
provide this function to that one PC, but then again, your browser would
perform the same function on it's own.

Lanman