I cant believe people actually take the time to post some of the spew that I
have seen over the past few hundred posts. Actually I can, but I dont want
to, nor do I want everyone to think that all Americans are as uneducated or
shallow as some of these posts would indicate....  Americans live in
conditions that do not require or encourage much introspection, and human
nature tends to discourage questioning the morals or values of the group you
belong to. I dont try to place my country on the pedestal that so many have,
i dont defend many of Her postions politically, and many public positions
taken by either politicians or private citizens have a tendency to embarass
me. However, there is not a single member of this very active thread who's
home country has not been party to morally reprehensible actions, and from
time to time America has been "morally" opposed to those positions or
actions, when it was politically expedient to do so. Wherever your
particular country falls into this mix, (and it does, dont doubt it) there
is a line that we cant allow our countries to cross, tho many have,
including at various times, the USA. That line regards supporting,
endorsing, or hosting terrorism, however plausibly deniable it may be. We
ALL payed the price for crossing that line yesterday, and will continue to
do so for some time to come. More innocents will suffer, more lines will be
drawn, accusations cast, more politically expedient decisions will be made.
It has always been this way, and it will not change. The only things we can
try to change are the percepted acceptability of terrorism by any name, and
international commitment to responding in a legal and forceful manner.
Regardless of of the international response, terrorism will remain, because
one man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. America IS the most
powerful country in the world at the moment, (which contrasts with our lack
of unity on issues such as these) and you can count on a strong sustained
response to yesterday's actions which will in turn be villified and praised
in this and many other forums. We are moral equals, I'm afraid. Might does
make right in the current order. Given this fact, might I ask what other
country you would be comfortable having the power to enforce will that
America does right now? Any of the middle eastern countries? Any of our
"civilized" allies in western Europe? Eastern Europe? The Catholic church
perhaps?  Power corrupts, and regardless of many opinions, America does try.
Like every other country in the world, this country has and will continue to
make mistakes. Please realize that it will always be tempting to criticize
another's decisions when you didnt have the power to make that decision
yourself.

My prayers and thoughts go out to all who need and appreciate them, May you
never find yourself personally in the situation we literally just woke to,
yesterday.

tannji

PS. I am a newbie, and so far i am loving linux, with some help. I wish
everything was proceeding as well as my linux.