Hello:

Got a problem.  I was trying to configure my nic using the Mandrake Control
Center - Connection.  I entered the information as best I thought.  I am
pretty  new at Linux and admitedly  some of it was guess work.  After I
finished configuring it I rebooted the system.

When I tried to re-establish my connection to the internet via my modem the
connection was established without any problems.  But now none of my internet
applicatons are able to access internet locations.  My email program is
timing out, can't access IRC, and web browser also times out.

I am able to gain full access again, if and only if I physically remove the
nic from the slot in the computer.  I suspect, once the modem connects with
the isp, the pc is trying to access the internet via the nic instead of the
modem.  It is a theory and the only one I have.

With the nic installed, I have tried going back to Mandrake's control center,
but when I click on the connection icon, it times out after 15 seconds.  So I
can't go back and reconfigure the nic.

Can somebody guide me on how to get back to where I was before I tried to
configure my nic?  I am very new at this.  I have read some of the
documentation on configuring network cards, and establishing lan's (my
ultimate goal) but find many of it to deal in generalities.  I have had the
system for maybe a couple of weeks and still feel like I am walking blind
through a mind field.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Dexter