On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:18:01 -0400, mcoady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In my ongoing attempt to get Mandrake8 to accept an earlier version of WP8, I
tried to install the earlier library libc5 via rpm.

> However I get the message: "file /etc/nsswitch.conf from install of
libc5-5.4.38-3 conflicts with file from package glibc-2.2.2-3.mdk

> Does this not mean that the older library cannot coexist with a newer one?

Is the libc package a Mandrake 8.0 RPM? If so, try this:

1. Make a backup of /etc/nsswitch.conf
2. Install libc5
3. Restore the old /etc/nsswitch.conf, in place of the new one
4. Install WP8.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson