> Out of curiosity, I would be interested in having some ideas about:
>
>    * how many people (what regions of the world) have to pay a "metered"
> rate for their Internet access

Most people in Europe that do not have access to ADSL or Cable internet (like
me). Using a phone line already costs money, local phone calls are charged
between $0.60 and $1.00 per hour (as far as I know)

> What I mean is that the US is not a place where, AFAIK, anyone should
> have such a problem.

Correct. In the US. I am in the Netherlands, paying an ISDN line (about
US$ 30 a month), my ISP ($15 a month) and the local phone charges of $.60
per hour. No charge on the amount of bandwidth I use unless I take things to
extremes. But with these charges, taking the extreme route is not what I am
aiming at. I don't even download things > 8 megs. Only downloading my mail
and usenet messages (offline) costs me around $100 per month, not counting
the costs of the ISDN line. (I used mailfilter to toss spam etc. off the
server before downloading, but that took about as long as downloading everything
and then let procmail take care of things.)

Expensive enough, me thinks...  I hope this satisfies part of your curiosity.
Paul