i have also tried the following:
$ for file in `ls *.wav`;do lame -b 256 -q 0 "$file" "`basename "$file"
.wav`".mp3;done

i think this is fine apart from the first line, i think this is feeding each
seperate word in a filename as a filename to the lame command, i think that
it might actually be complicated to return a list of files that have
spacenames and assign each whole filename to a variable
am i wrong?

bascule