On Saturday 15 September 2001 06:26 am, Jonas Jacobsson wrote:
> Can anyone recomend a dvd viewer for Mandrake 8.0?
> xmovie needs kernel 2.4.7 and I only have 2.4.3.
>
> /jonas

xine, videolan, and mplayer are all pretty good.  I prefer xine; videolan
sometimes has problems with synchronizing audio and video, and mplayer
doesn't have a gui.  You can find xine and mplayer by going to freshmeat.net
and searching for them there.  You can get videolan at www.videolan.org.

videolan is packaged in rpms as well as source, and as packaged contains
everything you need to play encrypted dvds.  The current xine, I think, only
is packaged as source, but you can get rpms for older versions.  mplayer, I
think, is only packaged as source.  With xine and mplayer, you need plugins
to play encrypted dvds.  You can get the xine plugin by going to the captain
css link on the xine home page, and the mplayer site tells you what plugins
you need and where to get them.  I think there are some gcc issues when you
try to compile mplayer that require you to use certain options with the
./configure command, but I can't remember what those options are.

The easiest way to get something that works, I think, is to get the videolan
rpms.  If you're comfortable installing from source, I'd go with xine.  If
you're comfortable both with installing from source and a command line only
program, then you might want to give mplayer a try.

Hope this helps.
--
Rich