I know this has been asked thousands of times before, but a look
throught the newbie archives doesn't come up with the answer.  How do I
set a program to start at boot time?

Specifically, I would like rp-pppoe (the adsl connection program,
requires root to start), to start and connect me to the internet
whenever any user logs in.  Ideally, it would be nice if there was some
sort of popup error message if this fails.

This is for my mother's computer, later for my grandmother's computer.
I want it to connect to the DSL modem automatically so that they don't
have to worry about su'ing to root and connecting etc.  Just login and
start surfing.

Thanks a bunch!

-Paul Rodríguez