On Wednesday 19 September 2001 00:42, you wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:49:34 -0400, Andre Dubuc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > I have produced five booklets of 56 to 100 Postscript pages that I would
> > like to place on a website, with the intent that persons could download
> > them, or view them. The pages are heavily formatted (I used Ventura 4.11
> > in my Windoze days). I'm a total newbie in Web page design.
> >
> > Prior to embarking on another steep learning curve, I wonder if someone
> > might offer some suggestions as to pitfalls I'm certainly going to
> > encounter.
> >
> > I have a few questions that will expose my woeful ignorance:
> >
> > 1. Is there a program that could "convert" the PS files to HMTL? (Is this
> > a real newbie question, or what!) All my original document files are in
> > .doc Word for Windows 2.0c and StarOffice doesn't recognize this file
> > format. I've since converted everything to sdw files, except of course,
> > the PS files.
>
> At a terminal, type "man xxx", where "xxx" is one of:
>
> ps2ascii  ps2frag   ps2pdf    ps2pdf13  ps2pk
> ps2epsi   ps2lwxl   ps2pdf12  ps2pdfwr  ps2ps
>
> Most notably, you can convert PS to ASCII (plain text) and PS to PDF
> (thanks to Free Software, you don't have to pay Adobe $$$ to make PDF
> files!). Converting PS to ASCII will allow you to import the output into a
> word processor or HTML editor for editing and embellishment.
>
> > 2. I've discovered "Screem" but have yet to use it. Is this a good
> > program to use in creating web-pages? Does it "accept" PS files? Could
> > you recommend anything better?
>
> Screem is good, but it doesn't accept PS files (neither do other editors).
> You should also try Bluefish and Quanta+. Also, take a look at Amaya
> (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/).
>
> > 3. I would like to give people the option to d/l each booklet in either
> > PS (preferrred) or HMTL format. Each booklet runs anywhere from 1.6MB to
> > 2.2MB. Which (or both) would you suggest?
>
> Here's what I would do:
>
> 1. Use ps2ascii to convert each PS booklet to plain text.
> 2. Use a word processor or HTML editor to turn the ASCII text into a HTML
> page. 3. Either use ps2pdf to turn the original PS files into PDFs, or
> 'print' the HTML pages to PS files (most apps can do this) and then use
> ps2pdf on those. The latter should ensure that both the HTML and PDF files
> look the same.
>
> > 4. Could you suggest some links that would ease me into this project
> > gracefully?
>
> Everything I mentioned is included in Mandrake (except Amaya). No other
> links are necessary :-)
>
> > Thanks for any help,
> > Andre

Thanks for the great info. I was beginning to despair about the project.

Btw, Screem freezes on KDE (locks on "Creating desktop"), and is usable (sort
of) only in Gnome. Probably some dependency that is missing. I'll try
Bluefish and Quanta+ instead.

Thanks again for the thorough information,
Regards, Andre