On Thursday 20 September 2001 09:32 pm,  Dale & Jennifer Favero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed mandrake 8.0 on a AMD 1.4ghz Abit KG7 with a soundblaster
> 128 sound card.  I was able to configure the sound card to work and play
> the voice.  I was then able to get the cdplayer software in KDE to play my
> music CD when I was logged on as root.  However I am having trouble getting
> it to work as a normal user.  Can anyone offer ideas as to what I am
> missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Dale

Anytime root can do something that users can't, you can just about bet it's a
permission thing.  Check your audio devices and make sure you either own them
or have permission to use them.  All the ones I can think of right off hand
are:
[s@tuxmachine s]$ ls -hal /dev/audio
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio           6 Sep 19 09:49 /dev/audio -> audio0
[s@tuxmachine s]$ ls -hal /dev/dsp
crw-------    1 s        audio     14,   3 Apr 14 07:06 /dev/dsp
[s@tuxmachine s]$ ls -hal /dev/sequencer
crw-------    1 s        audio     14,   1 Apr 14 07:06 /dev/sequencer
[s@tuxmachine s]$ ls -al /dev/mixer
crw-------    1 s        audio     14,   0 Apr 14 07:06 /dev/mixer

Check your see if they are similar.  If not, change it.  If they are, then
we'll need more help.  :-)   Also, it couldn't hurt to open up userdrake as
root and put cdrom, games, floppy, audio, and whatever in your group.
-s