> On my system I have ash, sash, tcsh, zsh...  Do I need these if I always
> use bash???

No, you shouldn't need them. Traditionally root users use csh/tcsh, but
that didn't originate with Linux, and I don't see any real advantage to
it. zsh is a nice shell, with loads of extra features, the 'kitchen
sink' shell. But 99% of the shell stuff can be done with bash and there
really is only a tiny bit of stuff out there that requires tcsh scripting.

The other shells do have their uses, however. ash is useful on rescue
diskettes where you need more room and you don't want such a big binary
but you need a shell, for instance.