I'm writing a bash script to process a CSV file of billing records.  I need
to check the last field of each record to make sure it is a numeric value,
not a alpha character.

I can do all kinds of things to work with the specific field; I can even
output the field to a seperate file.  I just can't figure out how to test for
a numeric value.  I tried expr, but could not get that to work; it showed an
error fo all of my tests.  And awk just passed over the error I planted in
the test.

According to the book I'm using as a guide, expr should do
it.   Maybe I've got the syntax wrong.

I've tried:
   expr $Value + 1
   It always gets a syntax error.  It is supposed to get an error like "expr:
non-numeric argument" when $Value is non-numeric, but instead it always gets
the error even if it is numeric.

Any suggestions?