Thanks for the reply.
I have been looking at my test PC which also has Mandrake Linux 8 on it.
In total df shows just under 1.8Gig used. At that size I might only need
one CD and a controlling floppy.

I am wondering if it would be practical to tar and bzip2 the partitions,

which are /   /home  /usr  /var

and set up a floppy and CD, or even a bootable CD to clone the first PC.
At the moment I think I need to partition and format the disc and
mount the partitions then unpack the various compressed files to
the correct places then run lilo to end up with the copy.

I expect I will need to learn quite a bit such as how to partition
the discs without user intervention but is it practical?

Norm