You need to create a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and just insert the line
"DESKTOP=GNOME" (without quotes). There should be a setting in /etc/X11/prefdm
that specifies gdm if the preferred desktop is gnome - I can't remember the
details but I think the file is OK as it comes in LM 8.0, so all I had to do
was create the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file.

David