-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of skinky
Sent: Wednesday, 26 September 2001 5:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] A small bootup glitch...

On Wednesday 26 September 2001 02:48, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a little problem,, I just shutdown my server to upgrade my bios
> to properly support 1.4gig athlon...
> the flash went perfectly, but when I boot back up, I am getting a lockup
> and it just sits there,,
>
> I can't log into it via ssh, and can't use Alt-F2-F6 to get another
> console,,, it doesn't work..
>

> Now, I have ReiserFS, and 2.2.19-4.1mdksecure kernel on mdk 7.2
>
> From what I can gather, the app that is causing the problem is the
> console mouse servers, (GDM ???)
>
> also, I am getting a message that root in fstab failed because /dev/snd
> doesn't exist (this box has never had a sound card..)
>
> How can I get in to turn off console mouse server for init3???
>

> I have the mdk7.2 CD's, and I have 2.2.17 kernel, (though that won't
> boot up either, same problem.) as well as nonfb (again, no difference
> since it has nothing to do with gdm....
>

> Anyone give me some tips here????
>
> I don't care about gdm anyway, since I use console tools like MC or X,,
> I don't recall ever wanting to use the mouse in a console.. (besides I
> can always reinstall it later...)
>

> rgds
>

> Frank

Hi Frank,

I'm a _real_ newbie so I wouldn't have a clue really about what is going
on with your system _but_ I did recently upgrade my bios which also caused
boot problems.  The bios upgrade had changed some settings in bios (my
problem was the graphics card setting in bios).  After changing the bios
settings I was able to boot into linux again.  If you haven't already,
check _all_ your bios settings.  Good luck.

skinky