I had a similar problem when I first started using wine.
The solution for me was to put the path in quotes as in
wine "/mnt/windows/Program Files/Scanner/scannapp.exe"
(it is case sensitive)

You must also of course make sure the paths to the windows directories are
set up in your wine config. The codeweavers set up application will put these
paths in for you automagically.

Hope this helps

Derek