I don't really understand microsofts thinking on that one..

Since we know that unix and linux (mostly unix) hold a large portion of the
high end server market, wouldn't it make sense for M$ to make ntfs read and
writable by unix/linux? seems that there would be alot of sysadmins who have
server farms of unix machines who would not let the bean counters try XP or
2000 on servers  (not that they should anyway...)

The pain that non readable/writable would cause for things like unified
backup and stuff would be a complete pain in the ass...

dumb decision that one,, then again, who can honestly say that they are
surprised...

If someone asked M$ why, they'd say that the recommended method involves
bining the unix, installing 2000 or XP on everything, get 50 extra servers
to do the same work as the unix systems and use M$ Task scheduler to
schedule reboots every 5 hours under load... (or not under load, much the
same with M$ on servers...) (I know cos we have a couple,,, I loaded a
software firewall on one of ours, just for some extra piece of mind, (its
also behind other firewalls) and the 2000 machine core dumps on a regular
basis, when the firewall is loaded, yet the same firewall runs perfectly on
win2000pro. its almost like win2000 server doesnt want protection.. ) The
firewall was Tiny Firewall for anyones interest... I put it on more for the
checksom on files more then the firewall itself but I can't use either
without a core dump... bloody Winblows!!!

just my rambling for the evening... :-)

rgds

Frank