On Sunday 30 September 2001 11:22 am,  Ralph Slooten wrote:
> Could someone please help me here? I have just installed Linux-Mandrake
> 8.1, and everything works great, except for my floppy drive :-/ I have used
> Redhat, LM 7.0, 7.1, 8.0, and they have never given any problems regarding
> the floppy drive.
>
> I read on the mandrake site that 8.1 uses some new method to automatically
> configure devices, but I just can't work it all out.
>
> When I try mount the floppy to any of the floppy devices, I get : unknown
> device.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome :-)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ralph

You could try to either: mount /mnt/floppy  before cd to it,  you could try
to delete your desktop floppy icon and recreate it,  or you could try:
supermount -i enable.    One little trick I've learned for the stubborn cases
is:  if after you cd /mnt/floppy and still can't read it, s to /mnt and then
cd floppy.  Don't know why, but it sometimes helps.
-s