That's why it's so important to read the install instructions, ESPECIALLY in
a tar.gz.

To run the installation script:

1. Change to the directory containing the installation script.  If you are
   installing Acrobat Reader from a CD-ROM, change to the appropriate
   directory on the CD-ROM.

2.  Start the installation script.  The filename of the script may be
    uppercase or lowercase depending on your system for example:

     # ./INSTALL

3.  Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

This isn't one of those ./configure && make &&  make install sort of
installs.  They have their own install script, that goes through and does
the install for you, you just have to execute it.

So as root, type:

./INSTALL

This would be in the ILINXR.install directory that the tar.gz creates.  The
above is in the INSTGUID.TXT that's in the directory.  It's near the bottom,
but it's in there.

Make sure you find something like that in a README or some sort of *.txt
file when you're installing software from source.  There are often added
things you will have to do, to get the software to work.

So head to that directory now, and then use the directions above.  From
there, I would create an alias, or a sym-link since it puts the app in a
weird folder. (/usr/local/Acrobat4/bin/acroread)
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
 3:19PM  up 7 days,  2:21, 4 users, load averages: 0.06, 0.02, 0.00