On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:22:34 +0200, "Mohammed Arafa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> i am very down right now
> i just realised i have to compile a kernel to integrate video4 linux into it
> so i can run bttv or xawtv and use my tv tuner card.
>
> so before i even start thinking about that, i have one last hope;
> does video4 linux come precompiled in lm8.1??
>
> hmm dint think so; ok .. where do i find menuconfig or xconfig?
> and is there a newbie /quick/easy/painless/idiot-proof method of compiling?
> and do i have to reboot? cant i flush the kernel out of memory like a
> service and restart it?
>
> thanks <<shudder>>

Hot-swappable kernels? I wish! There is a group working on that right now, but
don't expect anything from them anytime soon, for it is a _very_ difficult thing
to do. I can't think of _any_ OSs that have this feature.

You may be able to get away with compiling a kernel module. In that case, you
can insert it into a running kernel via an insmod or modprobe command.

There's a good tutorial on kernel compiling at http://www.mandrakeuser.org.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

Microsoft? Is that a kind of a toilet paper?