On Tue, 02 Oct 2001 09:09:23 -0500
Matt Greer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I installed 8.1 last night. When I rebooted I found I had no USB support at
> all. Both my keyboard and mouse are USB, so I was pretty SOL.
>
> I never had any serious problems with 8.0, and no problems at all with USB.
> I did a clean install which went very smoothly. The only thing I did
> differently from my 8.0 install was choose reiserFS and select my partition
> sizes manually. There may have been some packages that got installed that
> weren't installed with 8.0, but for the most part I went with the same set
> up.
>
> Upon boot aurora claims the USB services start up fine. The first time I
> rebooted it hung for about 5 minutes on "Initializing X Windowing System"
> (or something like that). After a while I started hitting key combos trying
> to see if I could get to a console, and probably coincidentally, the boot
> continued on and got to the login screen. No mouse or keyboard :( Each
> reboot was the same, except there was no hang, they booted up normally.
>
> Booting from the boot disk is the same thing. The messages indicate USB
> starts up fine, but I end up with no mouse or keyboard. I did make sure both
> are plugged in, and I unplugged and plugged them back in as well.
>
> I have a Compaq 5004us, with an Athlon 1.1ghz. The USB controller (?) is
> made by Via, but I don't know what model.
>
> If I reboot into the 8.1 installation, the mouse and keyboard work fine
> again. I hope someone can help me, otherwise I'm back to 8.0.

Matt

If you boot to the GUI login press Alt(+)F2.
This will open a console window.
Login as root and enter the command: mousedrake.
Select the proper mouse and use Tab key and click OK.
This will restart usb services including your mouse and keyboard.

Enter: exit to logout root and then press Alt(+)F7 to return to the
GUI login and your mouse should work.

After you are in check the file /etc/sysconfig/usb.
If it shows:
mouse=no
keyboard=no
You need to edit both entries to read =yes

   Charles