On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:28:30 +0300, "Yuriy Temnyuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have 256 Mb phisical memory, what size of Swap I must create?
>
> Thank,
> Yuriy

The general rule-of-thumb is to have a swap size of 2x RAM. However, you
typically won't gain much by having over 200MB of swap. If you need to use this
much swap, your hard drive would be thrashing like crazy and your system would
slow to a crawl. In this case, you should really look into buying more RAM
(assuming that the problem hasn't been caused by buggy software). Excess RAM is
not wasted in Linux, since it uses the surplus for hard drive caching.

Of course, there are exceptions. For example, servers often require large
volumes of swap space, as do serious software/graphical/multimedia development
workstations. For the average desktop system, however, a maximum of 200MB is
plenty.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"Technically, Windows is an 'operating system,' which means that it supplies
your computer with the basic commands that it needs to suddenly, with no warning
whatsoever, stop operating." -- Dave Barry