I have gone through the FAQ for apache.
As per the FAQ for user dir cgi, I have used the second alternative. My
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file relevent portion is as follows.

UserDir public_html

#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <Limit PUT DELETE PATCH PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </Limit>
</Directory>

#As per FAQ to use cgi-bin made by me on 2/10/2001
<Directory /home/*/public_html/cgi-bin>
     Options ExecCGI
     SetHandler cgi-script
</Directory>

Still I get the following error.
 [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of script headers:
/home/lvgandhi/public_html/cgi-bin/addfile.pl.
 But the same script and concerned files work in /var/www/cgi-bin folder.
folder permissions are 755 for /home/lvgandhi and 775 for public_html and
public_html/cgi-bin under /home/lvgandhi.
Where I am going wrong?
--
L.V.Gandhi
203, Soundaryalahari Apartments, Lawsons Bay colony, Visakhapatnam, 530017