On Friday 05 October 2001 01:28 pm, Johnson, David wrote:
> Sorry for the COMPELTE newbie-ness here, but is it safe to remove the
> tarball and subsequent directories for a piece of software once I
> install it?
>
> E.G. I just downloaded the tarball for Flex and decompressed it into
> the directory structure, then went through the configure/make/install
> process and the program is now installed.  Can I get rid of the
> tarball and source directories?

    You can, but there's a couple resons not to.  If you upgrade
somethin on your system, it could break your compiled Flex. Then you'd
need to recompile Flex. Also, many app's source includes a 'make
uninstall' option. If you delete the source dir you won't be able to
uninstall Flex except manually.  'Bout the only reason to delete Flex'
source dir is if you just haft'a have the disk space.
--
        Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA
Admiral Yamamoto:  "I fear that all we have done is to awaken a