On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:51:53 +0100, Peter Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2001 16:59 pm, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >where sysadmins who were
> > fooled into paying $$$ for an MCSE think that they're so 133+ that
> > they're invulnerable.
> </snip.
>
> Excuse the ignorance, but what's 133+ ?
>
> Regards

Crackers have their own 'language' ("leet speak"), consisting of their own slang
and variations of standard English words. Letters are often replaced with
similar-looking ASCII characters.

"133+" means "leet", which is short for "elite".

Script kiddies like to use this language to sound "1337" (yet another of many
ways to spell "leet").

Sometimes one letter is replaced with several ASCII characters to 'draw' the
character. For example, "|-|" is the letter "H", and "|\|" is the letter "N".

Here's a longer example:

4|)V4|\|C3D l3e+ $peA|< i$ whEn J00 +4lK L1K3 t|-|!5. t0 u|\|d3r$+@|\|D jOo
|\/|u5+ be lEET. 1f J00 4r3 NO+ lEe+ jOO C@|\|N0T 5p3A|< 0r ReAd +|-|I5.

Literal translation:

"Advanced leet speak is when you talk like this. To understand you must be leet.
If you are not leet you cannot speak or read this."

Your homework for today: Try to decipher my sig! :)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

          phj34r my 5kr1p7 k!1d13 haxX0r 73kn!q. ! 0wn j0o ll4m@ +00|z