Hi...
  I was in the same problem with my CMI8330, I used "sndconfig" and this app
detects very well my card, but I don not why I couldn't hear anything... then
I probe with "sndconfig --noprobe --noautoconfigure" and the detection was
very well.. it make the necesary files for me

good look

--
Paúl Mancheno.