On Thursday 18 October 2001 05:50, Anke & Max wrote:
> Ron Bouwhuis said on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 10:58 PM
>
> > If it IS hogging CPU, just run it with a lower
> > priority.  The command to do that is called "nice".
> >
> > Simply run: nice find <whatever>
> >
> > and nice will give it (by default) a priority of 10
> > (the higher the number, the lower the priority - go
> > figure).

The priorities go from 20 (lowest) to -20

As a user you may nice/renice your processes ONLY in a plus direction.  Root
can of course make processes higher.  A Priority of 20 means it will run only
if nothing else wants CPU time.

Now if you want to have some fun nicing/renicing processes, there is psDoom
available where you shoot pidMonsters wounding them to renice processes and
killing them to kill processes.  It is GPL but you will need to find a Doom
WAD file to use.

Civileme