Hi,

I have an external USB hard drive made by LaCie, which worked out of the
box, was automatically detected during installation, and is set up with
scsi emulation.  If I boot with the drive turned on, it is accessible as
sda1 & sda5 (it is partitioned into 2 FAT32 partitions).  There are errors
when it first tries to mount, saying that the 2 devices do not exist, but
then (I think because it only turns on scsi emulation AFTER trying to
mount the drives) it tries a few seconds later in the boot sequence and is
successful.

My problem is as follows:  if the drive is NOT turned on at boot time, I
can NOT mount either of the partitions on the drive, getting an error
message saying that the devices do not exist.  The kernel modules for usb
scsi emulation are loaded (and I even tried removing and reinserting the
modules which I think are needed), but it just does not work.

I think (and please tell me if I am wrong or omitting something) the
modules that are used are usb-scsi usb-ohci and usb-storage (I think, am
not at home and doing this from memory).

The other question I have, although not as bad because it still works, is
the error message I get when the system boots (that I mentioned at the
beginning) where the mounting of the usb drive's partitions fails and then
a few seconds later succeeds.  Is this because  the system tries to mount
the scsi drives (sda1 & sda5) BEFORE  the usb-scsi emulation is loaded?

I DO hope that someone can help me.

TIA,
David Charles