Having spotted the news item on Texstar's page about the bug fix for LM8.1
which fixes the Supermount problem we have been so focussed on recently, I
thought I would perform the update.

(See here for instructions
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/security/2001/MDKA-2001-018.php3?dis=8.1   )

After installing the update I enabled supermount with supermount -i enable
which has the effect of modifying the fstab file so the cdrom is now
none    /mnt/cdrom      supermount
fs=auto,dev=/dev/hdc,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,nosuid,nodev,codepage=850,exec
0 0

Now I am unable to access the CDRom as any user including root.
I have tried adding my users to the cdrom group and assigning that group to
the mount point. That did not work. The group kept changing back to root.

I tried setting full permissions for all users. That did not work, as soon as
a disc is inserted the permissions change back again.

I tried setting gid=cdrom in fstab. That did not work, the cdrom would not
mount.

Now I am out of ideas. Has anyone managed to get it working with the new init
scripts? Or do we have to wait for a kernel update before it will work?

The irony is, I was not bothered about supermount before. Keeping the
kwikdisk icon on the task bar was a neat way of mounting/unmounting with a
quick mouse click. Just like a mackintosh.

TIA

Derek