Hi All

I have the opportunity to purchase "Official Mandrake 8.0 Boxed Set -
Professional" for a substantially lower price due to the imminent release of
the official 8.1 version(s).

I understand the above provides the following benefits (see blurb attachment
below for those unfamiliar with the contents).
It looks like a real bargain to me from what is being offered.
BTW Unfortunately the 60 day phone support requires international calls
(mutter !) from Australia.

I am a (about to be) new to linux user with substantial computing experience
since 1983 (CP/M, VMS, DOS, etc). Last years have been spent suffering with
Bill's bugfest on workstations and servers.  Hence the desire to change.
Mandrake appears to be the best distro choice at this time for me.

It is my intention (unless convinced otherwise!) to get this 8.0 pack , make
it work and to then upgrade to v8.1 in my own time.

Qns:

a. I am not clear on how simple/complex the 8.1 from 8.0 upgrade will be
(assuming i select the appropriate options from the 8.0 install such as the
reiser file system, etc).
Can i just point at a (say FTP) site using APT, download the required 8.1
upgrades, additional products, etc, allow for them to compile, etc?  Are the
products easily identifiable and installable on masse (as with Debian
upgrades using DEB) or is it a real nightmare scenario to find, download,
compile, update/reconfigure, etc?

b. Do the "More than 2300 Open Source applications on 7 CDs" available in
the 9.0 PowerPack for 8.0 come with the Professional Pack for 8.0?

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

-> start blurb

Designed for small and medium businesses, the Linux-Mandrake ProSuite
Edition 8.0 has been specifically designed to include all the necessary
tools and applications required for today's demanding computing environment.
In addition to extended enterprise support, powerful tools make the ProSuite
Edition ideal for setting up stable and secure servers.
Receive 60 days of phone installation support (english, french or german)
and 90 days free access to MandrakeExpert for web based support
MandrakeExpert with priority response time.

Main benefits
o Extended enterprise support: 90 days through MandrakeExpert and 60 days by
phone
2 Free Update CDs
o Powerful Firewall and Router solution
o Apache Advanced Extranet WebServer