Heh, it helps if you are "in" the same directory that contains the
SoundStudio-1.0.3-5.i586.rpm file before you execute that command. The
rpm command could not find the file, resulting in the error.

I could not locate an i586 version of that file on RPMFIND (which I
looked for after reading your message below).

Nor could I find an MDK version for anything but the Sparc.

Ideally you want to use MDK RPM's to avoid problems with other software
on your MDK system.

In turn if you are downloading a cooker file on a stock 8.x LM install,
it's a good idea to try to recompiling, instead of installing from a
binary. Though this may not always work. Recompiling rebuilds the
i586.rpm file based upon files and libraries already installed in your
system. (E.G. rpm --rebuild SoundStudio-1.0.3-5.src.rpm after
downloading that file... The resulting file will be located in
/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 or /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686 )

When it works, you end up with a NEW rpm that is more highly compatible
with your existing installation. Note however that cooker RPM's in turn
often rely on other libraries & programs which may not already be
installed in your system.

You can actually get into a vicious cycle of upgrades by trying to
utilize cooker (and other) RPM's which supercede releases for your
system. At best, things will work, at worst you may end up with a
highly unstable system.

For Ex-Winblows people, using cooker releases is somewhat akin to trying
to run software under WinME, written for WindowsXP. Not a good idea,
especially on an "important" system.

-JMS