On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:06:24 -0400, Jon Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am all sorts of problems with either the xserver or KDE, not sure which.
> At times it just decides to freeze and I mean full blown windows freeze.  I
> have to power down to get out of it. Then sometimes if I open konqueror file
> browser the scroll bar just goes crazy and no files show up, have to use
> xkill to get rid of it. Then atlaest half of the time when I try to shutdown
> my PC, I click logout and the screen just goes black and does nothing.
> Any one having this same problem? Anyone have a clue why it is happening?
> I am about ready to just reinstall, though I know it happened with my last PC
> a few times too.
>
> Confused

This behaviour is obviously not meant to happen :)

When X freezes, can you kill it with the ctrl-alt-backspace key combo? Can you
switch to another console with ctrl-alt-F[1-6]? If you can, then only X has
crashed. If you can't do these, the system as a whole has crashed.

Is there any pattern to make this happen? For example, are there any particular
apps which can trigger this? Does the same problem occur in other window
managers and environments? Try using GNOME for a while and see what happens. I
remember that when KDE 2.0 was released last year I had tremendous problems with
stability. GNOME, however, was as solid as a rock. The KDE problem for me was
fixed with 2.1.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "Bad design. I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole."
                        -- Linus Torvalds