On Tuesday 23 October 2001 16:53, David Johnson
 spouted off about "[newbie] Circular dependancies?":
> Here begins my problem:
>
> When I try to install the Galeon rpm, I get:
>
> [root@pengo packages]# rpm -i galeon-0.12.1-2mdk.i586.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         GConf >= 1.0.4 is needed by galeon-0.12.1-2mdk
>         mozilla >= 0.9.4 is needed by galeon-0.12.1-2mdk
>
> So I went and downloaded the GConf 1.0.4 rpm and attempt to install
> that:
>
> [root@pengo packages]# rpm -i GConf-1.0.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libGConf1 = 1.0.4 is needed by GConf-1.0.4-2mdk
>         libdb-3.2.so   is needed by GConf-1.0.4-2mdk
>
> So I download the libGConf 1.0.4 rpm and when I install it, I get:
>
> [root@pengo packages]# rpm -i libGConf1-1.0.4-2mdk.i586.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         GConf >= 1.0.4 is needed by libGConf1-1.0.4-2mdk
>
> Is this my fault for trying to install from the 8.1 RPM's or should I be
> able to do this?

Sometimes you need to assume that you are more intelligent than RPM ;-)

In this case, you can use the --nodeps option to tell RPM to ignore
dependencies. I don't recommend using it when it's not absolutely
necessary, but in this case I think it is.

Use the --nodeps option to install libGConf first (and also install
libdb-3.2, preferably without using the nodeps option unless necessary).
Something like this:
  #rpm -U --nodeps libGConf1-1.0.4-2mdk.i586.rpm

Notice also, that I used option -U rather than -i. This way, you ensure
that if such a package already exists on your system (unlikely, but
possible), you will Upgrade it properly. And if no package exists, then
RPM is smart enough to treat the 'U' as an 'i'. I also like to add options
'vh' ('-Uvh') as well, so I get verbose messages from RPM, and I see hash
marks (a text-based progress bar) during the upgrade/install.

- From there, GConf should be able to install without the nodeps option, and
so on.

Dave
- --
You can't have everything... where would you put it?
- -- Steven Wright