Hi, Very new linux person here! please be gentle!!

Ive installed Mandrake 7.1 and am comming to grips with things, ive figured out
how to browse the windows network its attached to, use the router that all
the other machines use to acess internet, got  a later version of Netscape,
setup email, got me sound working, im stuck on the following things can anyone
help me?

I have a hauppauge winntv card and cannt get it working ive tried the
/sbin/modprobe bttv /sbin/modprobe tuner /sbin/modprobe msp3400 commands as it
tells me to on hauppuages web site using KDE it gives me an error but using
gnome it accepts the commands so which software do i now use to watch me telly??

if i have to install some software to get it going can anyone point to a nice
file preferbly one of these rpm's that I seem to like more and more each day.

Also my monitor isnt listed in the setup so have set a generic 1024 monitor up,
(my monitor is a hp 15" d2826) and permedia 2 graphics card, the options are
there to have a resolution of 1024 but testing it makes me screen dissapear and
i wait for the 8 second countdown to come back the best i can manage is 800x600
16bit any ideas on how to get me at higher res?

any help greatly appreciated!

Matt