On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:23:47 +1300
Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It will probably still be possible to put in a second drive and dual
> boot into
> linux. Someone will have checked it out by now.
>
> Just as an aside. Have you noticed how in text mode "XP" looks like a
> smiley
> for someone dead or dying. Elmer Fudd's advice to M$ "Be wery wery
> carefull -
> he he he".
>
> Derek Jennings wrote:
> >
> > Very interesting article....
> >
> > It occurs to me that since so few PC's are sold with Linux preloaded, and
> >  new XP computers will have their discs formatted in NTFS, within 2
> > or 3 years Linux will be squeezed out. Consumers will be unable to try out
> > Linux even if they wanted to. Most people are not going to risk losing their
> > windows data by having to reformat their entire disc, and may be worried by
> > Microsofts product activation policy, that they might not be able to go back
> > to windows again without a severe hassle if they were to try it.
> >
> > I'm sure there are good technical reasons why NTFS is used by XP instead of
> > FAT32, but its jolly convenient for Bill that a by effect is to shut out the
> > last remaining competion on the x86 desktop.

I think there may be a miss-understanding.

PM 7 can perform all its operation on NTFS as used in XP.
It is therefore possible to repartition an XP drive and install linux
without reformatting the disk, which in most cases would not have worked
because on the preinstalled XP system most will have either a restore cd
or a hidden partition restore image not a full version XP cd.

Linux has never beem able to resize NTFS (a far superior fs to fat) and yet
today there are many dual booting NT or Win2k with linux who used a third
party program to resize and then partition their hd.

   Charles