--
Mandrake has a network of some 75 "crashtesters" based all over the world,
these are not "techies" employed by Mandrake, they are ordinary users who
have volunteered their time to test new releases/products etc. The benefit of
this is that software is tested on a range of hardware rather than just the
equipment available within Mandrake and it is tested by people whose skill
and knowledge also varies - there are those who have a great deal of
knowledge and some (such as me) who have a lesser amount of knowledge.
This means that some things which would be obvious to a techie are not
immediately obvious to an "ordinary user" and Mandrake are given the
"ordinary users" feedback, suggestions are made and taken on board  ( Xtart
came about as a result of a problem encountered by one Crashtester).
"Crashtesters" began with 8.0, continued with 8.1 and they are currently
being tasked with testing in areas which are of specific interest to them,
e.g. installation, networking, office products, Lilo & Grub, commercial
packages etc.

Poogle
Registered Linux user 182657 (added to sig for the benefit of those irritated
by it)