On 28 Oct 2001 12:58:30 +0100, Søren Neigaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2001-10-28 at 12:49, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On 28 Oct 2001 13:10:30 +0100, Søren Neigaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I just installed Mandrake, and I'm usig the Gnome desktop. The sound
> > > server is running (I think), but the sound is not working.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on how to get it to work?
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > > Søren
> >
> > Does sound work elsewhere? Try using "play" or "mpg123" to play a sound
> > file.
> I can play CD music with Gnome CD Player.
>
> > Have you configured your card? Try running "sndconfig".
> If I can play CD music, is my soundcard configured then?

Not necessarily. Try playing a sound file, like an mp3. Try it both in GNOME
(e.g. with XMMS) and from the console, without GNOME loaded (e.g. with mpg123).

If they don't work, exit X and run sndconfig in a console to configure your
sound.

> > Is sound turned on in the GNOME Control Centre?
> Yes.
>
> > Try tunning "ps -ux |grep esd". Does it show that esd (not "grep esd") is
> > running?
> I get "esd -nobeeps -as"!

That's how it should be.

> What next?

See above :)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"I wrote code that works. I didn't test it, but the discussion is closed. It
might have syntactic problems, but it does work. Better than any kernel
extension ever would. End of story." -- Linus Torvalds